Tuesday, October 25, 2016

Unbelievable.

So, I was in the midst of working on the game and suddenly, my computer crashed. No big deal, I had saved recently. So after the restart I start up Adrift again and... my game is suddenly password protected. The game I had never password protected. I tried my regular passwords, thinking maybe I had set it and forgotten but, nope. No luck. And when I try to open the game with the runner, it says "this is not an ADRIFT game" so my guess is it's corrupted & totally shot.

I'm totally stumped at what to do, I can't think of any way to break the password protection or bypass it in some way. It's not like the game was 95% finished and I lost EVERYTHING but still! A few weeks worth of progress is gone. Not really sure on how I'll continue forward, having to redo all of the basics, character and room descriptions, etc really saps the motivation.

5 comments:

  1. You maybe able to recover it from your app data folder, it will be in Local\Temp somewhere, I had to do it once before, worked for me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nope, no dice. I gotta remember to make backups!

      Delete
  2. Use version control: git and svn are popular choices. Commit changes consistently and often.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Man, that sucks. Hope you keep going and find that the rework is much faster than doing it the first time (says he from experience!). My password story is the opposite...I put on a PW and now it cannot be removed! The standard Adrift PW removal process has no effect.

    ReplyDelete